So, there I was checking out the latest posts on my Google News feed when I saw this article topic: 6 Truths About Pornography and I thought, “Shawn, you enjoy pornography maybe you should find out some truths about it”. No, I didn’t really think that, I thought it was some sort of parody article or maybe had six interesting facts that were recently discovered by some bored teenager in Southern California.
Well, what I actually found was certainly NOT what I had expected to find. And the title of this post* is actually the closing sentiment from the linked article, which just strikes me as something you would totally find on a parody site, but this townhall.com is totally legit (as in WAY right field craziness).
So, the entire article is predicated on the fact that the Bible is the “word of truth” and as such, the six listed “truths” are in fact true because the Bible says so. Of course the article asserts that there was no use of pornography or that any even existed in the times of the Bible and that since the Bible “transcends time and space” we know that God intended this absence to serve as a testament to the evilness of such things.
Let me get this straight… During biblical times no one masturbated because there was nothing pornographic in existence. So, the Kama Sutra, which was written between 400 and 200 BCE is not pornographic? And you mean to tell me that the Song of Songs isn’t so sexually charged and full of erotic imagery that young Bible bearing boys haven’t read those pages late at night because the Sears catalog wasn’t allow in their house? Give me a break. The entirety of the article has become invalid within the first two paragraphs because the intended audience would never question an article of this type, despite Jesus’ command to question everything.
But let us play along for a minute and go over these six “truths”:
1. Pornography use is always wrong. Not only is it wrong it is as wrong as incest and bestiality it appears. Because like fornication, adultery and homosexuality, pornography is a “deed of the flesh” that “grieves the Holy Spirit” as stated in Galatians 5:19-21. So, these verses from Galatians say a lot of stuff-
“The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
Idolatry, selfish ambition and envy are also “deeds of the flesh”. Let’s keep that in mind as we move forward.
2. Married? Pornography use is adultery. Not married? Pornography use is fornication. So, no matter married or single, DO NOT take your sexual pleasure into your own hand, EVER!! As it says in Hebrews 13:4-
“Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
Masturbation is a sexually immoral act. Why, you might ask? Well, in order to masturbate you MUST be picturing someone in your head, and that person is being shamed at that moment because you are lusting after them. If it is your wife (this article is VERY misogynistic, by the way) that you are thinking about you should probably just have unprotected sex with her, it is her duty after all, right good Christian folk?
3. Pornography use leads to death. I really wonder at which point the death part kicks in, because unless I got an extension somewhere, it has got to be close. This particular “truth” is probably the most offensive, it states that the men, women and CHILDREN involved in pornography are victims as well as the people viewing pornography. So, either I am being turned into a victim on the same level as a child doing sexual acts against their will (children cannot legally give consent even if they do it voluntarily), the actors involved in pornography are being forced to do something that they do not want to do (which I understand happens sometimes, but that isn’t the point of the original article) or child victims of sexual predators are marginalized and their victimization is equal to mine, which is nothing. Those three positions are all pretty ignorant and damaging.
The article quotes James 1:14-15-
“14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed.15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”
So, the desire to masturbate is actually the root of this death through pornography? And that desire is an innate part of being a human… So, we are designed to masturbate by God’s will? Not sure I follow that logic.
But the next couple of statement on this “truth” I certainly do not understand; “pornography use is a cancerous epidemic” that is “destroying lives, souls, children, marriages and families” (seems like children could have been grouped in with lives or souls and aren’t marriages the same as families in the Christian thought process?). Regardless, it seems porn leads to the death of society.
4. Pornography use is demonic. So, the Bible says that Satan is the “prince of the world” and according to 1st John 2:16-
“16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.”
pornography is clearly of this world, and therefore it is of the devil and in fact “demonic”. Well, I guess aside from me arguing against the existence of demons, there isn’t really anything to say in response to this one.
5. You must flee pornography. You must literally run away from pornography because it is the one sin that comes from outside of your body, according to 1st Corinthians 6:18 anyway-
“18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.”
As if that wasn’t enough, the article says “Nothing is done in secret”, paranoid much?
6. You can be free from pornography use. By reading the Bible and asking Jesus to help you. The Bible that has a whole epic poem of erotica (really tame stuff, compared to what is out there today) and was written by an aspect of Jesus, the guy that is an aspect of the guy that made you get your erection or caused you to have the ability to create lubrication within your vagina.
But remember, “if you screw up, stop, ask His forgiveness and then ask him again for help”, and that doesn’t work think about the wise words of the United Negro College Fund from 1972 “…a soul is a terrible thing to waste.”
*Which is actually a bastardization of a campaign slogan used by the United Negro College Fund in 1972.